Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in October:
- Explore Kathmandu City- the capital of Nepal and also famous as the "City of the temple". Enjoy the city sightseeing tour, explore the major cultural and heritage site listed in the UNESCO world heritage sites.
- Adventurous and scenic mountain flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and back.
- Impressive views of the snow-capped mountains, green and lovely hills, and diverse landscapes.
- Experience the local and traditional cuisine.
- The Everest Base Camp itself.
- The unique experience of the culture, religion, and tradition of the Sherpa people of the Khumbu region.
- Namche Bazar- the gateway and trade center of the Khumbu region and dense settlement of the Sherpa people.
- Inspiring experience of the warm hospitality and day-to-day lifestyle of the Sherpa People.
- The largest and unique Sherpa monasteries at Tengboche and Namche.
- Kalapathhar-the attractive and vantage point of the Everest region to enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding peaks like Nuptse, Lhotse, Everest massif, other surrounding peaks, and Khumbu glacier.
- The diverse Himalayan flora and fauna in the Everest Region.
- Sagarmatha National Park- a natural UNESCO world heritage site.
- Magnificent views of the snow-capped peaks like Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Pumori, Ama Dablam, and other surrounding peaks.
Everest Base Camp Trek in October: Temperature and Climate
The weather in Everest Base Camp Trek in October is quite unpredictable. The temperature and climate condition changes swiftly throughout the year in this region and this is the case even in October. However, the weather and climatic condition change less frequently in October than in other months.
Generally the day time temperature range from 12 degree Celsius to 16 degree Celsius which is neither too cold nor too hot. And it is good to make the adventure hike during the daytime.
During the nighttime, the temperature ranges from 2 degrees Celsius to -5 degrees Celsius. It's not too extreme cold temperature in the high altitude mountain regions.
However, it is very difficult to predict the exact weather of the Everest Base Camp Trek in October. Because with the change in the weather pattern and cloud, the weather of the Everest Base Camp region changes every hour.
The best time to visit the Everest Base Camp is from March to May and October-November.
Everest Base Camp Trek in October Weather
- The weather in October is much stable.
- The monsoon washes all the dust and dirt in the atmosphere and offers the greenery looks of the hills, forest, and grassland.
- The skies become cloudless, dark blue and the distant vista and panoramic views of the snow-peaks look very attractive.
The month of October experiences pre-winter weather. The daytime is warm and wild. However, the night is colder and it gets colder day by day so you will need to carry warm gear while trekking to Everest Base Camp in winter.
Note: Carry warm trekking gear for the Everest Base Camp trek in October.
Basic Equipment list for Everest Base Camp Trek in October
October is the right time for trekking in the Everest Region. You need to have the right trekking gear and equipment for the successful completion of the trek.
- Sun hat/Scarf/caps
- Lightweight thermal tops
- Flees jackets
- Waterproof jackets
- Down vest/jackets
- Lightweight warm gloves
- Heavyweight warm gloves
- Hiking shorts
- Light long cotton pants
- Light warm thermal bottoms
- Warm and waterproof pants
- Thin inner socks
- Thick hiking socks
- Hiking boots with spare laces
- Camp shoes/ sandals
- Sleeping bags
- Duffle bags
- Large plastic bags
- First Aid kit
- Trekking Poles
- Water bottle/camel bags
- Trekking maps
- Solar touch
- Water purifiers/tablets/iodine
- Portable altitude chamber and oxygen
- Medium size quick-drying towel
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Multipurpose soap
- Nail Clipper
- Face and body moisture
- Hygiene product
Toilet paper/tissue roll
Anti-bacteria hand wash
Everest Base Camp Trek in October Accommodation, Food, and Drinks
October falls in the autumn season and it is also the peak season for the adventurous Everest Base Camp Trek. Therefore, there are very few chances of getting good accommodation and food access during the peak season.
Everest Base Camp Trek is a popular tea house trek route. It is very difficult to get good accommodation facilities on the trail of Everest Base Camp during October because it is the peak trekking season and the trekking route has the maximum number of travelers. You will get a limited choice to spend the night in comfort. So if you wish to experience the teahouse service and have access to good accommodation then you should book your rooms before the Everest Base Camp Trek.
You will be provided with basic facilities in the trail. So do not expect big rooms. The teahouses and lodges provide basic service. During the offseason, as there's less traffic on the trekking route hence they provide a single room. But because October is the peak season for Everest Base Camp Trekking, therefore you may have to share your room with your friend or even strangers.
Some people love to do camping trekking also. October is a good time for the camp trekking as well.
The night is very cold and the coldness increases day by day so carry warm clothes and sleeping bags. Teahouses may be unable to provide extra blankets at Everest Base Camp Trek in October due to the high crowd.
Food and Drinks
In the Everest Base Camp, the higher you trek, the fewer will be the option for food. You will eat three meals daily in your Everest Base Camp trail: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The teahouse where you spend a night will provide you with dinner and an early breakfast. You will eat lunch somewhere in the lodge and teahouse on the route.
As you reach the high altitude, you will be provided with a very limited food menu. They serve you some of their local dishes. Most of the food they provide you include cereals and flour products. You will also get some opportunities to eat international cuisine.
Most of the teahouses in the Everest Base Camp trekking trail have a similar menu. You can eat bread, pancakes, pasta, fried rice, beans, yak cheese, Dal Bhat, Momo, Yak steak, Garlic soup, etc. consume only a balanced diet food, that is, eat only the food that supplies you sufficient energy for the trek. Do not forget to carry some bars and chocolates that will provide you with extra energy for the altitude hike.
For a drink, we advise you to drink 5-6 liters of water every day on the trek. It is very essential to keep your body away from dehydration. It is recommended not to consume alcohol and beverages while trekking in the Everest Base Camp Trek in October. Consuming alcohol might dehydrate your body and may increase the risks of altitude sickness.
Why Everest Base Camp Trek in October
Trekking in October has its own pros. Plan your trek, pack all the essentials and you will have a wonderful trek.
During the Everest Base Camp Trek in October, the air is clean and dust-free, and the environment is fresh. The Himalayas exhibit their best form during bright and sunny days. Enjoy the beautiful scenery of the world's highest mountain without any disturbance.
The peaceful environment will blow all your stress and tiredness by letting you rejoice in nature. The natural scenery that you eye photographs will leave an imprint in your mind and soul that will remain with you throughout your life.
The clear weather provides magnificent views of the world's highest mountains like Mt Everest, Mt Ama Dablam, Mt Lhotse, Mt Nuptse, and other surrounding peaks.
The diversified scenery is the glory of the Everest Base Camp Trek in October. Settlement of the Sherpa people along the route with their famous monasteries will allure you. Green grassland and hills are very lovely and heart-touching.
The views in October are very surprising because of the clear weather condition. You can enjoy the natural beauty of the Himalayan trekking the Everest Base Camp in October.
The monsoon rain gives new life to the vegetation along the trail. The forest looks greener, denser, and lovelier. The pastures provide unique beauties in the forest. The clean and green surrounding is one of the best highlights of the EBC trek in October.
Less chance of the flight delay and cancellations
The weather in October generally remains stable. So there is a lesser chance of flight delay and cancellation in the October season.
Most of the festival in Nepal
Nepal is very rich in culture, tradition, and religion. Nepalese people celebrate a variety of festivals that have their own significance. Dashain and Tihar are the biggest festivals celebrated in Nepal and these two festivals usually fall in October or November.
Festival is the time of celebration, delight, and togetherness of the family members and loved ones. By traveling a long way they return to their home villages. Families unite. This creates a joyful and happy environment in the country.
You can be a part of the festival if you trek in October. The memories you collect from the cultural program and festival lasts for your lifetime.
The feeling of receiving the blessing of Tika from the hand of an aged Sherpa is very wonderful. You can experience the glory of Nepalese culture and festival so don't miss this joy while trekking in Everest Base Camp Trek in October.
October is the best time to trek Everest Base Camp because of its moderate temperature and weather. You will not experience much cold, unlike winter. You will feel the warm sun rays of summer.
There will be fewer chances of raining which means you do not need to worry about the slippery monsoon trail. You can walk wearing light clothes. Trekking during sunny days will improve your visibility and will make your trek more pleasurable.
Great weather and climate condition mean you don't need to rush. You can enjoy and explore the Himalayan beauty as long as you want.
Say 'yes' to the diverse vegetation and 'No' to the snow. Sagarmatha National Park is the home of diverse vegetation. While trekking in the parks, you will walk through various lush trees and also through bloomed rhododendron forests.
Sagarmatha National Park is rich in diverse flora and fauna. You will walk a trail through the rhododendron, oak, and bamboo forest inside the park. The interconnection of the Sherpa culture and the ecosystem is one of the major highlights of the Sagarmatha National Park.
During Everest Base Camp Trek in October, in the lower altitude, you can enjoy the walk through the paddy and millet fields. You can see various grazing lands with the Himalayan animals in the footsteps of the hills.
Enjoyful and Happy trial.
The Everest Base Camp is one of the popular and legendary trekking trails in the world. October is the peak season to trek to the Everest Base Camp. So the trail is very busy with lots of local and international tourists. You can experience the warm hospitality of the Sherpa People throughout the trail. This creates a happy and cheerful moment throughout the trekking trail.
Some tips for the Everest Base Camp trek in October
- Start the adventure trek, starting early means you can explore more of nature. Also, you can reach your destination early. You can have more time to enjoy the sunset views in the evening.
- The weather this month is stable. Yet, bad weather can hit any time of the month in the Himalayas so carry all the essential gear and equipment for the trek.
- Adventure trekking in the Himalayas is not too easy. Especially if it is your first adventure hike to the mountain region. There are possibilities of you not being familiar with trekking in rugged landscapes. So you may need to have a well-trained and experienced guide alongside. An expert guide is the answer bank, they know all the things about the region you are trekking.
- October is the peak season to trek in the Everest region. Due to this reason, most of the teahouses and lodges are already occupied. So if you are trekking to Everest Base Camp in October and want to have better accommodation then book your rooms as fast as possible.
- Adventure trekking is more memorable and enjoyable if you are comfortable. Prepare mentally and physically for the trek. To be physically comfortable will require you to dress comfortably, wear the right shoes, and pack your backpack wisely. On the other hand, you will be required to stay motivated throughout the trek.
- Maintain a constant pace on the adventure walk. Take rest at certain intervals. Do not rush. Slow and steady is the key factor to the success of the Everest Base Camp Trek in October.
- Drink plenty of water while trekking in a high-altitude region. Your body can get dehydrated faster at higher altitudes. Avoid activities that can dehydrate your body. Drink a minimum of 4- liters of water daily.
- As hot water during the trek is quite expensive, therefore we advise you to carry a bottle of hot water. Also, do not forget to carry water purification tablets.
- Do not ignore the symptoms of altitude sickness while hiking at a high altitude, it may lead to serious problems or even deaths. So if you get the symptoms of altitude sickness then share them with your partner or your guide. They can help you move to a lower altitude and carry out any emergency treatment if required.
- The temperature during the night is very cold so get a good and warm sleeping bag for the trek.
- Budget managing is a little challenging during the Everest Base Camp Trek. So you must carry some extra amount during the trek.
Some difficulties during the Everest Base Camp Trek in October
- October is the peak season for the adventure trek in Nepal. In the Everest base camp trail, there are only limited tea houses and lodges. So you might have some difficulty getting a teahouse or lodge for your accommodation. And also you may have to sit in the queue for getting the food and you may have to share your room with your partner.
- Altitude is one of the biggest challenges during the Everest Base Camp Trail. You will reach an altitude of 5555 meters at Kalapatthar. You are prone to altitude sickness throughout the Everest Base Camp Trek.
- The weather at the Everest Base Camp is very unpredictable. Thus the trail can be more difficult to trek on.
- The temperature at night is very cold. The temperature falls day by day and it can be very tough if you don't carry warm clothes and gear during the trek.
- You will feel low of energy and weak while hiking at a high altitude so carry the bar and chocolates to supply you extra energy while hiking at the altitude.
- There are altitude variations while ascending and descending the Everest Base Camp Trek. If it is your first adventure trek then you might get altitude sickness in the Everest Base Camp Trek.
- The Everest Base Camp trail is strenuous. The route can seem very long for those who are not used to trekking or hiking a long distance. So be confident and careful while going for the Everest Base Camp trek.
What is it like trekking the Everest Base Camp Trek in October?
Aside from the breathtaking scenery, travelers to the region can experience the unique culture and tradition of the Sherpa community. They can visit famous and local monasteries and museums along with the trial.
Your day turns bliss with the colorful prayers across the route. You stroll along the swing bridge and numerous boulders. During the evening you can enjoy the hot food, explore the nearby villages and get along with the local people.
The perfect blend of the natural beauty, fascinating nature, as well as warm hospitality of the local people make the Everest Base Camp Trek more memorable and beautiful.
The thing should be considered while trekking Everest Base Camp Trek in October:
Guide and Porter:
The government of Nepal has made it compulsory to hire a guide for adventurous and risky trekkings. And we also suggest you make it compulsory right away, it is always safe to trek with a local guide alongside. The guide is well known with the surroundings and they know what steps to take when required. The guides can provide you with all the information and knowledge they know. They will recite you stories of previous treks they've been to and make the trek easier and comfortable in all aspects possible.
Solo trekking is on hold now but is still possible to trek solo. But hiring a porter or a guide or both has many advantages.
For $22-35 a day you are giving a valuable job for the one. In return, they will give you comfort, motivation, and much-needed company during the trek.
And also you can be more familiar with the local culture and natural environment.
During the peak season like October, you may not get desired guides and porters at the preferred time. So, it is good to pre-book the guides and porter for your easy and beautiful journey.
- Almost nothing prepares you for the adventure trek's extreme hills and altitude of up to 5555 meters. It is up to you how you experience it for yourself. But there are certain fitness activities that you can do to prepare yourself physically.
- Prepare yourself with cardiovascular training several times a week. You can do cycling, swimming, hill climbing and lots of walks once a day to increase your strength and be physically fit and fine.
- Go on hikes. Take stairs when possible.
- Always keep in mind that "slow and steady" is the key to achieve success in your trek. People with moderate fitness can easily complete this trek.
- Health Facilities or emergency during October in Everest Base Camp Trek
- The Kunder hospital was built by Edmund Hillary in1965. Located north of the Namche Bazar, this hospital has been providing medical services to the needed and sick people for the past few decades.
- The Himalayan Rescue Association also runs a health post in a village called Pheriche located above Namche Bazaar. It offers you emergency treatment.
- It can cost $65 for the Consultation with Gamow bags and bottled oxygen for treatments. There are available chartered helicopters to rescue those who have fallen sick, ill and got injured.
- Everest region is the highest region in Nepal averaging 4,000 meters. Mt Everest is the world's highest mountain with a height of 8848 meters.
- The combination of the cold, wind, strong sun, and dry air creates a harsh atmosphere for the trekkers on the high altitude trail.
- As you hike higher, you will get less air to breathe. Anyone can have breathing problems and can suffer from altitude sickness. If altitude sickness is not treated in time then it can ruin your trek and may even lead to serious problems.
Here are some guidelines to help you to prevent the altitude sickness during Everest Base Camp Trek.
- Slow and steady is the key to the success of the trek and also provides your body with enough time to acclimatize. There's no need to feel left behind if you're slow. This isn't any competition and there always will be someone to give you company on the trail.
- Walk at a high altitude and sleep at a lower altitude. It will let your body adjust to the varying environment and altitude.
- Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water, we suggest you drink almost 4-5 liters of water daily.
- Avoid alcohols. It may dehydrate your body fast. You will have plenty of time to enjoy alcohol after the success and completion of the trek.
- Be honest. If you suffer from altitude sickness then do not ignore to share with your friend. The small carelessness can lead to serious problems leading to death.
- At high altitudes, many people suffer from minor headaches. Don't worry, it could be due to dehydration. Eat medicines like pain killers to get relief but if it continues then inform your guide. In most cases, it is treatable on the trail and the trek can be carried further without any disturbance.
- If you suffer from several altitude illnesses like severe or constant headaches with vomiting and difficulty in breathing, then share with your guide. Your guide will immediately take you to the lower altitude. And take you to the nearby clinic for medical treatment.
- If the clinic or your guide decides you need further treatment then you get immediate helicopter evacuation.
Permits and fee
To trek in the restricted regions of Nepal, you need to collect respective permits to enter those places. In general, you need to collect a TIMS card for trekking in any region in Nepal. But if you have restricted or local permits then you don't need to collect a TIMS card. So is the same condition for the Everest Base Camp Trek.
Here is a list of the permits you need while going for the Everest Base Camp Trek in October :
You can get the local permit at the Monjo, Chubu region after paying us$20 or you can also obtain a local permit from the tourism board, Kathmandu.
Sagarmatha National Park Entry permit
Cost= USD 30 + government tax
Mt Everest lies inside the area of Sagarmatha National Park, Solukhumbu district. So trekkers need to get the necessary national park entry permit. There is a checkpoint in Monjo where you need to show your permit card.
There are few checkpoints where you need to register your permit. If you are trekking by hiring the trekking agency then they will manage and sort out everything for you. The price of the permit is the same if you are trekking solo or without booking your trek from a travel agency. You can get a permit in Kathmandu or Monjo.
Gauri Sankar National Park Entry permit
Cost= USD $ 20
The cost is the same for the individual trekkers and the trekker trekking with the agency. For the trekkers from the SAARC country, there is a certain discount on this permit.
There is also a check post at Shivalya (The next town from Jiri). You can either buy this permit at Kathmandu for the US $20 or pay the double US $40 and get it at Shivalaya.
You don't need this permit while you take a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla, this permit is only required if you choose the classic Jiri route for your adventure trek.
Travel insurance is a very major thing to consider while trekking in the mountain or high altitude region to prevent you from the bad things that you bear during your trek. You can never be sure what will happen on your trek. You may need to get evacuated from the Everest region from a helicopter in case of any emergency. The flight might cost you $5000-$10000.
An accident can happen anytime even in the safest trails even after taking precautions. Thus having insurance can be very useful while trekking at a higher altitude region. Remember that Nepal doesn't offer any kind of insurance, you will have to make your insurance in your home country.
Also, some trekking companies do not accommodate you if you don't have the right insurance necessary for the trek.
Besides, there are also risks of flight delays due to bad weather. There are various travel companies such as Nomads, Travelex that provide travel insurance. Make sure that you check with these companies as to what things are covered by your insurance.
Some other trek in Everest region in October
Everest Base Camp Trek is not only the trek that is available in the Everest region, many other beautiful treks can also be done in October. Here's the list of other treks that you can complete in the Everest Base Camp region during October month:
Everest Panorama Trek
Everest Panorama Trek is legendary and is one of the shortest treks in the Everest region. The route to Everest Panorama Trek will not take you to the Everest Base Camp. However, this trek will take you to other famous and beautiful places in the Khumbu region like Namche Bazar(the gateway of the Khumbu region and the famous trade center of the Khumbu region), Lukla, Tengboche, Phakding, Tengboche Monasteries, and many more. This trek is very suitable for those who want to do a light trek and prepare for future treks to the Everest Base Camp. In this trek, you can enjoy the panoramic views of the world's highest mountain without any disturbance of the weather and climatic condition.
Everest Base Camp helicopter trek
The Everest Base Camp Helicopter Trek is a perfect combination of light trek and flight trek which starts from Namche Bazar and leads you to the Everest Base Camp. The total trekking days in the Everest Base Camp helicopter trek is less. Don't worry about missing the beautiful route to Everest Base Camp if you choose the Everest Base Camp Helicopter trek, you can still enjoy the views of the summit of the world's highest mountain and can experience the beautiful mountain flight too. This trek is very suitable for those who have fewer holidays and want to experience the Everest Base Camp. Everest Base Camp helicopter tour is for those who don't want to trek or hike in the Everest region but want to enjoy the gorgeous views of the world's highest mountain present in the Everest region. With a money-back guarantee if the flight doesn't take off, medical facilities by charting you in the case of emergency, and many more. This tour is very suitable for the one who doesn't want to experience the adventure hike but wants to enjoy the views of the mountain by experience the mountain flight.
Gokyo Valley Trek
Gokyo Valley Trek, trek a splendid valley, home to splendid mountains as well as beautiful water resources, is a dream valley to go to and enjoy. The Gokyo valley is the highest altitude settlement in Nepal as well as in the world and almost every house in this village is designed and built for visitors and travelers. The interesting fact of this valley is that when the temperature falls below 0 degrees, people migrate to the lower altitude villages. The Gokyo valley trek will last for 15 days. During these days you can enjoy beautiful Himalayan flora and fauna along with gorgeous mountain views. Renjo La Pass trek is another beautiful trek around the same area that lasts for a similar period as the Gokyo valley trek.
Everest Base Camp Trek in October is the best season for trekking in Mt. Everest and to enjoy the crystal clear views of the world's highest mountain with the views of their summit without any disturbance of weather and climatic condition. October is also the month of the cultural celebration in Nepal. You have many pros of trekking in the Everest Region in October. For instance, you can experience the cultural programs and festivals of the Sherpa people with their warm hospitality. The beautiful season provides wonderful scenic mountain views and the wonderful festival awaits to fill you with joy and happiness.
Enjoy the beautiful Everest Base Camp trek in October with the team of Nepal Hiking Trek. We are one of the local agencies providing warm and quality service to the client since 2015 AD. We will support you for the great success of your trek and also provide you will the required guide and porter for your comfortable trek. To provide our clients with quality service and facilities is our main priority. If you have any questions related to this then you can mail us: [email protected]